Thursday, June 29, 2017

House votes down random jury selection

"Honestly, I didn't know that … I was so closed-minded, that I was a rapist, that I was a murderer, that I was a sexual assaulter, that I was all of these things until I came to Congress and heard often from my colleagues how horrible I was when I was in uniform as a commander and how incapable I was in being able to meet justice and make decisions," [Rep. Steve] Russell [R.-OK] said during the committee debate. "But now I learn that maybe I just didn't realize who I was."

From the Washington Examiner's account of the debate in the U.S. House of Representatives on an amendment offered, unsuccessfully, by Rep. Jackie Speier [D.-CA], to require random selection of court-martial members. Rep. Russell is a retired Army lieutenant colonel.

2 comments:

  1. A bit over the top, eh? Was sure it was an R ... and sure enough, it was. Random jury selection? Gee, what a novel idea. Wonder where that's been tried successfully. If someone knows, pass it to Congressman Russell — he should visit sometime. John Byron

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.random.org/testimonials/sampling/2006-11-16.pdf

    https://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/01-2012.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Comments are subject to moderation and must be submitted under your real name. Anonymous comments will not be posted (even though the form seems to permit them).